By the New Zealand Herald.
An 18-year-old student has died after coming off his skateboard at an event in Auckland today.
The teenager was part of an organised long boarding race on Colonial Rd in Birkenhead near the Chelsea Sugar Factory.
Police were at the scene and say the four riders that were competing
were doing speeds of around 40 kilometres per hour before all four
Sergeant Andrew Wright of North Shore police said the rider wasn’t able
to negotiate the corner, he “lost control [and] flipped up in the air
off his board”.
The teen was wearing a helmet, but died almost immediately.
His name has not been released yet.
The serious crash unit are investigating and the death will be referred to the Coroner.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- FREE STUFF FRIDAY: SONY ACTION CAM
- WIN: ETNIES Shoes for a year! But you have to earn your stripe.
- INTL/NZ VIDEO: EITG
- NZ VIDEO: Levi Hawken’s Earth Hour 2013 Skate Video
- NZ VIDEO: SOUF Groms vs. BCP
- NZ VIDEO: Melbourne Extras
- NZ VIDEO: Kallan Stevens in Dunedin
- NZ VIDEO: Element NZ Albany BBQ
- NZ VIDEO: James Kingston in Dunedin
- NZskate.com EXCLUSIVE: Sony Action Cam Session at Waihi